Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Construction Officer 4
Job Number: BCH-T-9904-230828E1
Job Location: Fort St. John, British Columbia, Canada
Powered by water... and by people like you
Providing clean electricity to 4 million customers takes a diverse workforce and that’s where you come in. We need your talent to help us build major projects to meet growing demand. To help our customers find clean energy solutions for their homes and businesses and to be ready to respond during storms and outages to keep our system reliable.
Working for BC Hydro is meaningful. And now, the stakes have been raised as we work towards a solution to climate change while safely providing clean, affordable electricity to our customers.
We offer a healthy work life balance, training opportunities and career progression. We're proud to be ranked as one of B.C.'s Top Employers and one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers. Join us as we build an even cleaner B.C.
- Holds work leadership responsibilities for, and performs the same duties as lower level Construction Officers and other technical and clerical staff assigned to the project.
- May act as on-site BC Hydro representative with the associated authority to commit BC Hydro to project activities and resulting costs.
- Participates in project planning, including providing input into draft tender documents; participates in pre-job conferences with contractors and BC Hydro staff to ensure that contract specifications are clearly understood and that work schedules are appropriate.
- Acts as a prime interface with project team members, local interest groups and other authorities.
- Identifies, researches and develops alternate strategies to overcome a variety of construction and environmental problems on a project.
- Administers contracts, monitors project activities and maintains liaison with contractors/Construction Services, ensuring that work materials, progress and costs meet BC Hydro’s expectations; resolves related problems; certifies progress and final payments are correct and approves acceptable deviations from contract specifications.
- Coordinates the work and inspects key operations; directs and evaluates testing, surveying and estimating activities.
- Acts as Site Safety Coordinator and ensures that contractors fulfil all safety and security requirements.
- Act as Project Controller in accordance with SPR requirements.
- Prepares reports of project activities and arranges for required permits and clearances.
- Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties that do not affect the rating of the job.
- Completion of a National Diploma of Technology in either Mechanical, Civil & Structural or Electrical from an Institute of Technology or relevant trades apprenticeship course or equivalent plus additional training in contract law and seven (7) years of related construction work experience.
- Must hold a valid class five (5) driver's license.
This position is affiliated with the Movement of United Professionals union (MoveUP/COPE).
- This Full Time Temporary position falls under Move Up MOU 15, and is scheduled until approximately November 2024.
- This location may be eligible for a Remote Incentive of 12% or for a FIFO allowance. Details to be discussed during the recruitment process
- Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
- Spends a regular amount of the day, over 30% of time, exposed to all weather conditions while performing job functions. Works at construction and office site. May be required to work underground, up on scaffolding or up towers. Spends portions of the day on feet on rough terrain. May have to drive from site to site daily.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by September 11, 2023.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs. You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We include everyone.
We act with integrity and respect.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
We include everyone. We welcome applications from anyone, including members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at BC Hydro. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at Recruitmenthelp@BCHydro.com
Flexible work model role definitions
Our four role types identify the degree of flexibility an employee could have to work from home based on the type of work they do. The flexibility for an individual job is up to the manager for each position and the operational requirements. Employees also have the right to work full-time from the office if they prefer. All of our roles require at least some in-person time.
IBEW/Field – No option to work from home
Resident – Works primarily (4+ days per week) in the office.
Hybrid – May be able to work from home up to 3 days per week.
Remote – Works from home 4+ days per week