Site C Forester, Vegetation
Fort St John, BC
Site C Forester, VegetationJob Number:
Fort St John, British Columbia, Canada
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top
Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.It's our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
Site C will be a third dam and hydroelectric generating station on the Peace River in northeast B.C and offers the opportunity to be part of one of the largest infrastructure projects in Canada. It is part of BC Hydro's overall program to invest in and renew the province's electricity system. Construction on the project began in summer 2015. When completed, Site C will provide British Columbians with clean, renewable and cost-effective electricity for more than 100 years. To learn more about the project, please visit www.sitecproject.com
In general, the successful candidate will be responsible to provide technical, professional and administrative support to BC Hydro on the Site C Clean Energy Project under the direction of the Site C Vegetation and Access Program Manager. In so doing, the successful candidate will be required to:
- Participate in a multidisciplinary environment for construction of the dam, reservoir, transmission lines, substations and highway relocations.
- Analyze, interpret and evaluate various technical studies and data to support vegetation clearing and access planning decisions.
- Fulfill the role of a forestry resource person for BC Hydro and its clients.
- Provide value engineering analysis with regards to clearing and access planning and operations.
- Develop contract scope, specifications and associated documents for forestry engineering and layout contracts.
- Implement and administer forestry engineering and layout contracts for professional and technical activities that will include, but may not be limited to, clearing boundary and road layout, access planning and management, water course classification, identification of environmental features, clearing system stratification, timber cruising and valuation, hazard tree and danger tree identification and mapping.
- Ensure forestry engineering and layout contract deliverables meet contract specifications by completing quality assurance checks, that the deliverables are received according to the project schedule and requirements of other project Teams, such as Properties, Archaeology, Environment, Regulatory/Permit, Procurement, Safety and Construction and that that progress or updates are conveyed in periodic reports, as required.
- Develop contract specifications and associated documents for clearing and access procurement.
- Develop cost estimates for forestry engineering and clearing and access construction activities.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing within the Site C Project, with clients, forest industry reps, contractors, private land owners, First Nations, the public and various levels of government.
- Assist, as required, other Site C Teams to acquire agreements, authorizations, approvals, permits and licenses.
- Assist, as required, the Aboriginal Relations Team with consultation.
- Supervise and administer contracts for clearing and access construction by completing quality assurance measurements/audits, by verifying and recommending acceptance or rejection of requests for changes to clearing and access plans, by completing periodic reports or updates with regards to schedule, progress, conformance or compliance, payment and any other activities as required.
- Perform other duties, as required.
The successful candidate will be:
- An RPF in good standing with the Association of BC Forest Professionals or a P. Eng. in good standing with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC.
- Experienced, with a minimum of ten years of related industrial forestry experience with emphasis on logging, road construction and planning or a minimum of five years of experience in forest operations within multi-disciplinary construction/capital projects.
- Knowledgeable of legislation and regulations governing forest practices in BC; as well as, additional commitments ascribed under environmental certification.
- Able to manage, adapt to change, and deliver a quality work product in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Competent with Microsoft Office Suite of applications and Adobe.
- This is a Management & Professional (salary), Full-Time Temporary position until March 31, 2023.
- The job location is at Site C – Fort St. John, BC.
- Some travel to Vancouver, BC may be required.
- This position will report to the Site C Vegetation and Access Program Manager.
- This location is eligible for a Remote Incentive of 12%. Remote Incentives are paid bi-weekly to Full-Time Regular employees working in eligible remote locations.
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain the following requirements in good standing: Driver's License Type = Class 5
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply:
How to Apply
Don't forget to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and copies of your certifications. If applicable, include your Trades Qualification. This will ensure we have all the necessary information to assess your application without any delays.
Click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html
by June 4th, 2018. Click here
to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page
to view and apply for jobs.