Field Engineer (Site C, Generating Station, Spillway)
Fort St John, BC
Field Engineer (Site C, Generating Station, Spillway)Job Number:
Fort St John Site C Construction Office, British ColumbiaJob Status:
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top
Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It's our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do. Duties:
Based out of Fort St. John, BC Hydro Generation Engineering’s Site C Project (the Project) is looking to hire Civil/Structural Field Engineers, at the Junior, Intermediate, and Senior level. We are looking for candidates who would be interested in contributing their knowledge and developing their abilities within the Project’s Resident Engineering Team (RE Team).
The Project includes a variety of civil/structural engineering related construction activities and BC Hydro is mindful Junior and Intermediate Engineers may have limited experience related to some of the upcoming construction scope of work. BC Hydro is passionate about developing well rounded Professional Engineers. RE Team members will play an active role in identifying areas of interest/career development, receiving encouragement to strengthen/develop new engineering expertise.
The successful candidate(s) will play an integral roll acting on behalf of the Engineer-of-Record in the field, verifying the compliance of contractor constructed works, in conformance with contract documents, including scope, quality and schedule.
Specific duties include:
- Develop a strong understanding of each contract’s scope/specifications/Issued for Construction Drawings and contractor prepared drawings/submittals, providing oversight on behalf of the Engineer-of-Record, to ensure each contractor’s work activities are completed in conformance with the design/approved work methods.
- Provide and coordinate signoff of contractor hold points as required by the contract documents;
- Use construction experience to proactively anticipate, identify and assist with the mitigation of contractor interfaces and/or related construction risks;
- Prepare written construction progress reports;
- Host site visits for Project stakeholders;
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations to Project stakeholders/regulators;
- Holds a recognized degree in Civil or Structural Engineering with eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC (EGBC);
- Relevant study/design/construction experience in some of the following areas:
- Understanding of complex drawings and lift drawings;
- Lift scheduling;
- Foundation and surface preparations;
- Seasonal protection requirements;
- Concrete reinforcement and placing;
- Imbedded parts;
- Imbedded piping and electrical;
- Construction of complex form work;
- Construction of complex falsework;
- Concrete aggregate production;
- Large scale concrete batching;
- CIP Concrete delivery, pumping and placement;
- Secondary concrete placement;
- Concrete materials testing;
- Building Envelope construction;
- HVAC systems;
- High bay lighting systems;
- Assembly of complex structural steel;
- Large gate installation, radial and roller;
- Installation of cranes and crane rails;
- Bridge assembly;
- Strong written and verbal English communication, interpersonal and leadership skills;
- Ability to understand multi-discipline designs concepts depicted on construction drawings;
- Ability to promote effective communication within a multi-discipline team (safety, environmental,
- regulatory, geotechnical, geological, civil, structural, electrical and mechanical);
- Working safely, including promotion of a safety above all else culture in the work place;
- Implementation/identification of effective sediment and erosion control measures;
- Interpretation of schedules for large construction projects;
- Mentoring/developing junior technical staff;
- Preparation of regular project summary reports;
- Maintaining quality throughout a project and implementing improvements when determined;
- Computer proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of products;
- Ability to re-locate to Fort St. John;
- Ability to work set shift schedules to be discussed during the interview process;
- Based in Fort St. John, BC. Not fly in fly out.
- These are Full Time Temporary positions until approximately March 31, 2023.
- Although the posting states one position, we are still determining the exact number of Field Engineers we will be hiring.
- This location may be eligible for a Remote Incentive of 12%. Remote Incentives are paid biweekly to Full-Time Regular employees working in eligible remote locations.
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver's License: Class 5 in Good Standing
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply:
Don't forget to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and copies of your certifications. If applicable, include your Trades Qualification. This will ensure we have all the necessary information to assess your application without any delays.
Click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by June 30th, 2018.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.