Fort St John, BC
Senior Quality Engineer
BC HydroJob Title:
Senior Quality EngineerJob Number:
Vancouver (Bentall), British Columbia, CanadaJob Status:
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do. JOB DESCRIPTION Duties:
Act as a quality Subject Matter Expert during Site C equipment and contract procurements to develop quality requirements and to evaluate proposals.
Act as a quality representative during the equipment manufacturing phase to monitor equipment quality and to review contractor submittals.
Act as a BC Hydro’s representative to review and coordinate inspection and testing assigned to external inspection agencies.
Promote quality culture and share lessons learned from Site C.
Specific duties include:
- Develop quality management schedule/appendix in Request For Proposals.
- Conduct bid evaluations as a quality advisor.
- Review equipment Manufacturing Inspection & Test Plans (MITPs) submitted by contractors.
- Monitor performance and progress of MITPs.
- Ensure BCH’s Hold, Witness and Review Points on MITPs are implemented.
- Review and issue inspection reports prepared by engaged inspection agencies;
- Review equipment manufacturing non-conformity reports submitted by contractors.
- Attend manufacturing kick-off meetings and witness critical equipment final acceptance tests.
- Review equipment manufacturing quality reports submitted by contractors.
- Develop and maintain effective professional relationships with internal and external colleagues in order to determine relative priorities and to assess the impact of the work on others.
- Review work of consultants and contractors to ensure accuracy, achievement of deliverables and adherence to accepted engineering practice.
- Perform quality audits of equipment suppliers and contractors
- Ensure all work complies with BC Hydro specifications and/or standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Eight years or more related experience
- Be eligible for registration as a professional engineer with the Engineers and Geoscientists BC (EGBC).
- Valid Class 5 Driver's License.
- Familiar with design, fabrication and operation of low, medium and high voltage electrical equipment including transformers, circuit breakers, isolated phase bus work and electrical distribution panels
- Familiar with ISO 9001 standard and understand quality management principles
- Be able to work with multiple engineering disciplines and with different project groups, contractors, suppliers and manufacturers
- Effective communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Strong report writing skills.
- Strong computer application skills, e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Strong leadership and analytical skills.
- Applicants may be required to demonstrate their experience through the interview process by completing a practical exam
- Expert knowledge about high voltage transformers and electrical systems is preferred Individuals with lesser qualifications may be considered to be hired at the Engineer 2 level
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain a Driver's License: Class 5 In Good Standing.
- Limited travel is required.
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain the following requirements in good standing:
- EGBC: Association of Prof Eng & GeoSci = In Good Standing
- Driver's License Type = Class 5
- Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by July 28th, 2018.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.