Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Project Manager 1 (Site C) – Site Project Mgmt & Construction Ops
Job Number: BCH-T-5696-230111E1
Job Location: Fort St. John Site C Constr Ofc, British Columbia, Canada
Powered by water... and by people like you
Providing clean electricity to 4 million customers takes a diverse workforce and that’s where you come in. We need your talent to help us build major projects to meet growing demand. To help our customers find clean energy solutions for their homes and businesses and to be ready to respond during storms and outages to keep our system reliable.
Working for BC Hydro is meaningful. And now, the stakes have been raised as we work towards a solution to climate change while safely providing clean, affordable electricity to our customers.
We offer a healthy work life balance, training opportunities and career progression. We're proud to be ranked as one of B.C.'s Top Employers and one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers. Join us as we build an even cleaner B.C.
Site C will be a third dam and hydroelectric generating station on the Peace River in northeast B.C and offers the opportunity to be part of one of the largest infrastructure projects in Canada. It is part of BC Hydro's overall program to invest in and renew the province's electricity system. Construction on the project began in summer 2015. When completed, Site C will provide British Columbians with clean, renewable and cost-effective electricity for more than 100 years. To learn more about the project, please visit www.sitecproject.com.The overall Site C Project is managed as a number sub-projects each having multiple components that require project management and oversight.
The overall Site C Project is managed as a number sub-projects each having multiple components that require project management and oversight.The Project Manager 1 will support the Site Project Management & Construction Operations team of the Site C Clean Energy project by having responsibility for project performance of a portfolio of project components.
The successful candidate will:
- Manage multiple smaller components within the Infrastructure, Worker Accommodation and Construction Operations scopes of the overall Site C Project of considerable size, diversity, complexity and risk and assumes responsibility for their successful completion.
- Develop plans, including scope, budget, schedule, risk and project team responsibilities in order to accomplish project objectives.
- Ensure that internal and external resources with appropriate skill sets are assigned, established required commercial arrangements with consultants and contractors as required, assign work and provide leadership and guidance to project staff.
- Coordinate and lead multiple disciplinary teams composed of construction management, contracts, forestry, environmental, indigenous relations, regulatory, properties and engineering staff and lead the planning, analysis and execution of tasks and applying judgment in the assessment and resolution of issues.
- Review work in progress and assess completed work for accuracy, required results and quality assurance.
- Monitor forecasts and reports on progress to ensure the work is being delivered to ensure the work is being carried out as planned and approved.
- Support and/or participates in high profile, sensitive and complex consultations and hearings with regulators, interest groups, the public, unions and stakeholders on a variety of issues of significant impact arising from the project.
- Delivers project components in a manner consistent with BC Hydro’s Statement of Indigenous
- Supports discussions and negotiations with regulators and other agencies on diverse matters and secures licenses and regulatory approvals as required.
- May lead the implementation of mitigation and compensation plans of moderate dollar value, complexity and risk
- Work with Operations and Asset Management staff on the hand-over of project assets.
- This location is eligible for a Remote Incentive of 12% or a FIFO Allowance. Details to be discussed during the recruitment process. Driver's License Type = Class 5
- Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
- Knowledge of engineering, environmental sciences, project management or business should be complemented by demonstrable technical coordination and strong leadership skills.
- 8 years related experience in fields of expertise within an Electric utility, large infrastructure or similar environment, with some experience in project management.
- A keen grasp of project management, various delivery models and contracting strategies for large infrastructure projects.
- Understanding of BC Hydro business and interdependencies of various business units is beneficial.
- Knowledge of operations, asset management and/or turn-over of project assets would be beneficial.
- Ability to manage multi-discipline project teams and oversee external consultants and service providers.
- Requires excellent oral and written skills for communication with a wide variety of internal and external parties including public stakeholders, government agencies, property owners, and First Nations representatives.
- Knowledge of BC Hydro PPM practices is preferred.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by January 19, 2023.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.