Reporting to the Maintenance Foreman, the Heavy-Duty Equipment Technician is responsible for repairing, troubleshooting, adjusting, overhauling, and maintaining mobile heavy-duty equipment on an
active civil construction site.
- Check bulldozers, excavators, cranes, haul trucks, graders and other heavy construction equipment for proper performance and inspect equipment to detect faults and malfunctions
- Diagnose faults or malfunctions using computerized and other testing equipment to determine
extent of repair required
- Dismantle and reassemble heavy equipment using hoists and hand tools
- Examine parts for damage or excessive wear
- Adjust, repair and/or replace defective parts, components or systems, using hand and power tools
- Test repaired equipment for proper performance and to ensure that work meets manufacturers'
- Clean, lubricate and perform other routine maintenance work on equipment
- Service attachments and working tools
- Adjust, maintain, and repair or replace subassemblies, such as transmissions and crawler heads, using hand tools, jacks, and cranes
- Fit bearings to adjust, repair, or overhaul mobile mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment
- Perform repair work on heavy trucks
- Supervise, coach and mentor apprentices
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Must be physically fit and able to work in remote camp locations (including West Pine Quarry located approximately 75km from Chetwynd)
- Outdoor work subject to extreme weather changes
- Must be willing to work 12 hour shifts, day and night
- Physically able to work outdoors performing hard labour tasks
- Must be able to access/board equipment in areas with uneven ground, snow and soft ground/surface water
Experience, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read and understand operating manuals, blueprints, and technical drawings
- Must be team player and must be willing to participate in company safety and production
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Knowledge of inventory control and inventory systems for parts management
- Familiarity with active construction sites
- Completion of a Heavy-Duty Equipment Technician apprenticeship and registration as a BC or Red Seal Journeyman – ticket required
- Experience with Caterpillar equipment i.e. haul truck, dozer, excavators, etc.
- Must have a valid drivers licence
- Experience with Heavy Duty Equipment Technician al work in a construction or mining environment
- Proven mechanical abilities in hydraulics and electrical, including schematics and diagnostics.
- Experience with routine maintenance operations
- Able to pass any pre-access screening, including a Drug and Alcohol test
- Experience with civil construction, earthworks and concrete are all assets
- CSTS and other safety certifications are assets
- Previous experience on dam construction or large civil projects would be considered an asset
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject Heavy Duty Equipment Technician.